Monday, February 13, 2012

Biscuits fit for the “King”!

This month I am going to dazzle your mind with two great and unexpected recipes using the common biscuit.  My inspiration for this first one is the “King of Rock & Roll” Elvis Presley.  Did you know that February was a very special month for Elvis?  On February 1st in 1968 Elvis became a father when Priscilla gave birth to Lisa Marie.  So my “King” inspired dish de jour is…Elvis’ Biscuits & Gravy.  But first, let me give you some history on a recipe that I believe would even make Paula Deen cry for joy!

For the past 14 years or so my Indiana family (yes, I grew up a Michigander – but I am now a proud Hoosier) has been teasing me with a dish that I really thought they made up, “Chocolate Gravy.”  I had never heard of such a thing before and I even wondered what you would eat it with-- definitely not steak and potatoes.  Well last year, during a family vacation, I found out.  I was awakened to the sounds of breakfast being made and as I made way to the kitchen I was told we were having “Chocolate Gravy & Biscuits” for breakfast.  What a treat!  I watched in awe as they made the gravy and as it was done watched everyone split open their biscuits and dredge them with the savory chocolate liquid.  Now came my turn, don’t get me wrong – I like chocolate, but in moderation.  That was just WAY too much chocolate for me to eat in one sitting.  I thought to myself, what can I do to make this it more to my liking?  I remembered we had a jar of peanut butter in the cabinet (actually there were four jars – everyone had to bring there own on this trip) and I put a generous helping on my open biscuits then spotted the bananas.  Yes, I peeled one and added slices to my creation.  Next of course came the gravy, not too much – I still want to taste the other ingredients.  So on to the breakfast table and as I sat down everyone stopped eating -- looking at my plate wondering, “What did you do?”  They all had to try my new creation; it was an instant hit and a great piece of family history we all treasure.  Jokingly this dish was dubbed – “Elvis’ Biscuits and Gravy.”

Let’s start with the Chocolate Gravy – with these five simple ingredients you will make the most decadent gravy you will ever have.  In a skillet melt 2 tablespoons of butter and add 2 tablespoons of flour to make your rue.  Now over a medium heat, add 1 cup of milk, 1 cup of sugar and 2 tablespoons of cocoa powder.  Continue stirring and simmer until gravy is the right consistency – about 6 minutes.  This will make enough gravy for about 4 servings.  Now you are ready for a breakfast that will have you singing, “You are Always on My Mind”.

Now you will need:
  • Biscuits – I would use your favorite recipe or store bought.
  • Peanut Butter – Creamy or Chunky, your choice.
  • Bananas
  • Chocolate Gravy
Once you have made the gravy and freshly baked your biscuits, split biscuits in two and place on your plate.  Add a generous helping of your choice of peanut butter and top with banana slices.  Now comes the fun part – cover the biscuits with the chocolate gravy.  I will leave it up to you, either just a drizzle or a drench – I prefer somewhere in the middle.

Now share this with someone special – remember Valentine’s Day is coming up!

Until next time – Keep your Foodie Fluids Flowing, and AG Me On!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment