Monday, April 30, 2012

Grilled Peanut Butter Egg & Cheese Sandwich


That’s right!  It’s no typo or misprint. In honor of Grilled Cheese Month, I am sharing with you one of my favorite comfort food sandwiches.  Now before you say “Eww”, “ Yuck” or whatever the explicative may be – I just want you to hear me out.  I came across this combo by accident or it might have just been out of convenience.  You see, on the weekends I love to have a hot breakfast.  I never seem to be able to get up early enough during the week (and the older I get, I find it even more so). So on the weekends I treat myself to a nice hot breakfast which usually consists of a fried egg with cheese – cheese makes everything better. And I fix myself toast with peanut butter (if there is any left).  You see, I live with a person who is very finicky on what peanut butter they eat – only Jiff Crunchy.  I thought that if I bought myself any other brand or even Jiff Creamy I would not have to worry about mine getting used up.  Wrong – seems the only time they are finicky about their peanut butter is when it is in the pantry.  Once theirs is gone – anything goes!

Back to the sandwich.  One morning I was making my weekend breakfast and did not realize that it was later than I had thought – I had an appointment to get to.  I still wanted my eggs and toast, but needed to eat it fast.  So, I decided that I would just put the egg on my toast and make a breakfast sandwich for the road.  Well this out to be a brilliant idea and the flavor was an unexpectedly delightful taste treat! (Only bad part was the crumbs and dripping everywhere). Don’t eat and drive – it just is not worth it! This is a stay-at-home treat to savor.  But this new discovery was worth my dry cleaning bill!

The hot egg melted not only the cheese, but also the peanut butter which created a rich sauce which to my surprise really complimented the egg and cheese.

Grilled Peanut Butter, Egg & Cheese Sandwich

You will need per sandwich:

·         2 – Eggs
·         1 – 2 slices of Mild Cheddar cheese
·         2 slices of bread
·         Peanut Butter
·         Butter

In a frying pan melt a small pad of butter (or a small amount of Olive Oil).  Fry your eggs as you like them (I prefer Over Medium – I like a slightly running yoke).  When you egg is done, remove from heat and top with a slice of cheese and set off to the side until we are ready to marry with the bread.  Now butter one side of each of the slices of bread.  Note: I use a cheese bread from a local bakery – it is a heavier, stiffer bread.  I try to staff away from those soft breads.  Place in your frying pan over Medium heat – adding peanut butter to one slice and your second slice of cheese to the other slice of bread.  Use a spatula to check the buttered side of the bread to make sure it doesn’t burn.  When the bread is toasted nicely, slide your egg onto the cheese topped slice and using your spatula top with the peanut butter bread slice.  Remove from heat, add to your plate and enjoy!  It is great with a large glass of ice cold milk!

Whenever I share this with friends, they call me crazy.  I tell them that I am – crazy about food and “don’t knock it until you tried it”.  I hope you will try this and share it with you family and friends.  Let me know of some of your “crazy” food mixups – I am curious to hear what you have come up with yourselves.

Until next time – Keep your Foodie Fluids Flowing, and AG Me On!

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. This makes a great breakfast for kids. I usually replace it with nutella as my kids don't prefer peanut butter.

    Cheese Sandwich and Fried Egg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard of such a sandwich until it was mentioned, in passing, on a House Hunters show tonight. This is the only recipe I could find that comes close to what they seemed to be talking about (the only other recipe with the same ingredients dipped a grilled cheese/pnb sandwich in beaten egg, as in French toast.) Your recipe reminds me of the first recipe I ever cooked that I found on line, for peanut butter beef stew; when you add the pnb, the instructions say: "Mix well. Do not go 'Ohh, yuck!' at the color." I'm looking forward to springing this on my husband in the future. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete